Employer not paying: wage arrears and holiday pay matters

If your employer is not paying you the correct wages for your work as set out in your employment agreement, you can take action.
You can take action against your employer for any holiday pay owing or if you have had a wage reduction imposed on you without proper consent.

What are wage arrears?

Simply, wage arrears are any money owed to you by your employer which hasn’t been paid in accordance with your employment agreement.
Employers are required to keep thorough and detailed records of the time you have worked and how much you have been paid. You have a right to see a copy of these records and claim any outstanding pay if you haven’t been paid according to the terms of your agreement.
This also applies to workers who have been paid less than the minimum wage for the number of hours worked. You can apply to the Employment Relations Authority for compensation, or we can do this on your behalf.
Grounds for a personal grievance
In some cases, you may also have grounds for a personal grievance if your wage arrears have resulted in redundancy or where you have had a wage reduction imposed on you without proper consent. If you believe this is the case, then seek professional advice before you act.

How we help

We understand that wage arrears are both emotionally and financially stressful, so we are happy to go in to bat for you and represent you.  There will usually be a one-off, capped fee for this service which we would hope is recovered from the employer.

If you believe your employer is not paying you the right amount, we urge you to contact us immediately, in confidence.

If you want more information about your rights if your employer is not paying wages, you can read more about it at the Community Law website.

Additional information about the help you can access is available here.

Still not too sure?

Talk with one of our friendly team members today!